(KBHB – Sturgis, SD) A woman who was rescued from an early morning fire on Sturgis’ Main Street has succumbed to her injuries.
The woman’s name hasn’t been officially released, although her friends on Facebook say Jessica Kerlin, owner of Unique to Antique, say she died Sunday from complications due to smoke inhalation.
Firefighters were called to the business just before 3:00 a.m. Sunday morning, and they were alerted to a woman still inside. First responders rescued the woman and she was transported to the Sturgis hospital.
Sturgis Fire Chief Scott Lensegrav says the fire appears to have started in the back of the building where there was a living quarters. He says the fire marshal believes it to be an accidental cooking-related fire.
The business received smoke and heat damage, with the heaviest of the damage occurring in the kitchen area near the back of the building, where Kerlin was sleeping when the fire broke out.
Sturgis fire crews were aided by Fort Meade and Whitewood in putting out the fire.